Monday, February 7, 2011

French General and the ice storm

This is a picture of my latest quilt I finished last Friday.

I call it my French General quilt because that is the name of the line of fabric. I love all the fabric in this line in varying degrees. I wish I could buy some of each one of them. This is just a small selection. My friend, Chris, across the street who has the quilt shop in her basement, got this line in with the pattern. I gushed about it so much she offered to let me make the sample quilt for the kit she was making. I jumped immediately into it. Very quick top to make. (BTW- she supplied the top fabric and the time on her long arm for me to quilt it. I just bought the batting and the backing.) She gets to use it to display and sell her kits, then I get it back. It took me a few days to quilt it because 1. I am an amateur. 2. We had a big ice storm. 3. Did I mention I am an amateur? I did not get a picture of the quilting, but each one of the strips of fabric is quilted in a different way. And the ABC blocks are outlined and meandered inside of.

Let's give a hand to my quilt holder, Matt, he wanted to know if he could put his arms down yet!

Now here are some pictures of the ice.



You can see how thick it is on the car.
I have never seen anything like this. There was ice totally encasing the tire. Do you see the spots where I tried to knock it off?
And of course my wonderful boys who shoveled and chopped the ice off the driveway and front walk. It was hard work.
Next time I will show you my other quilt I have been working on. It is almost ready to quilt. I am finishing the backing up today. I've got a few pictures of the process. Til then, Goodbye and have a nice day!

2 comments:

  1. You have quite the knack for these quilts for an amateur! They look beautiful. As for that horrible looking weather... all I can say is that it's sunny and 80 degrees in south florida :D I bet Mattie is FREEZING after two years of sunshine (and rain). BRrr.... Stay safe and warm up there in snowmaggedon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go Matt, for all that quilt holding! I love that quilt Mom! How long is she going to display it before you get it back? I wish we had that much snow... we just got a little ice. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete